Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Teaser for my @fandomgivesback piece

In case you're at all curious, here's a little peek at my Fandom Gives Back piece.  It's a continuation of a little drabble fic I wrote ages ago and decided these two crazy kids deserved a little more attention.

You still have a couple of days to get your donations in to receive the compilation of wonderful stories from over 90 authors.  If you have the means, please donate to this wonderful cause.


Beautiful banner made by @Christag_banner

Summary:  Bella is shocked when Edward Masen sends her a friend request on Facebook. Ten Years after their breakup, what could he possibly want with the rising star author? Accept or Ignore the possibility of a reconciliation with her long lost love?

Internet Reconnect

Izzy Bella has one new friend request

I clicked on the link in my email to see who had recently joined the fray of Facebook users wanting to be 'friends'. I used that term loosely since now that my first novel had been published and was tracking to be a New York Times bestseller, 'friends' were coming out of the woodwork. All thinking that they had somehow contributed to my success and were secretly hidden within the pages of my fictional account of a Midwestern high school. For some reason, the definition of fiction was eluding most of them. While a few of my very close friends were loosely represented in my book, it was a made up account of what I wished high school could have been for me, instead of the horror, ridicule filled hell that I'd been subjected to for four years within the walls of Thomas Jefferson High.

The book’s premise was about a shy, bookish girl being thrust into popularity and gaining the eye of the school’s resident bad boy, and all the trials and tribulations she’d had to go through before realizing that her dream of popularity wasn’t all it was cracked up to be. The story seemed to resonate with the young adult crowd, and I was proud of the moral statement it was making as well.

When I finally looked at the e-mail I’d just opened, I almost spit my coffee out all over the screen.

Edward Masen has requested to be your friend – Confirm / Ignore

My hands shook, finger lingering over the mouse button, unsure which to choose. I'd longed to hear from my first, and so far only, love for so long that even seeing his name in the e-mail before me made my blood rush through my veins.

We'd tried to continue our relationship after high school, but the pull of new friends and experiences coupled with the distance between us crumbled the fragile love we'd only just found the last semester of high school. I'd never thought someone like him would've fallen for someone like me. I was a theater geek who always had her head in a book while he was on the periphery of being part of the popular crowd, in a rock band that people were just starting to notice. I'd followed his career from afar finding out tidbits from our last few remaining mutual friends. I'd never thought about cyber-stalking him until right now. I accepted his friendship request and immediately went to his page.

Seeing his photo avatar was almost like looking at my yearbook. The eight years since high school had treated him well, and aside from the longer hair and scruff, he pretty much looked exactly the same. I was flipping through the photos that he'd been tagged in, a slew of ones from the various shows his band had done along with various college photos of him and his buddies. Shockingly there were very few with him and other women, which surprised me for someone in a band with his rugged good looks.

Bella, are you online?

A message popped up on my screen from Facebook’s chat box. Edward was messaging me. I reeled back, almost throwing my computer off of my lap.

~~00~~

Thanks for reading & you can check the entire fic out in the Fandom Gives Back compilation.


No comments: